Best Alpines Subwoofers with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
Welcome to the best Alpine subwoofer awards!
After having spent the entire week testing (more than a dozen) subs, I can now confidently say that I found the best alpine sub on the market.
I’ve also got into some hot waters with the missus when she asked: who’s this stripper called Alpine? Then, I explained to her that it was a subwoofer called Alpine. It has nothing to do with strippers. I think she believes me…
Buying the best sub for your vehicle comes down to two things: the space you have and your budget. The sooner you determine these, the faster you will find your perfect sub.
Warning: Once you’ve felt the bass digging into your bones, an emotional connection is made with the music. After that, you won’t be able to live without it.
For more than 20+ years, I’ve been installing amps, subs, and speakers in all types of cars and trucks, let it be a Jeep Wrangler, a Toyota Civic Type R, a Dodge Challenger, a Tahoe, a Corvette, a 4Runner, a Silverado, or an F150, to name a few. Not all subs go with all vehicles, which is why I wrote this article to set the record straight.
Now, let’s hear some bass already!
In a Hurry? Here Are the Top 3 Alpine Subwoofers
It’s for car owners who have no space whatsoever and still want some great bass for their ride.
For the music lovers who want something that lasts years and years while delivering strong bass without the faintest distortion.
It’s for those music fans who have no space to spare, even though they want some good bass for their daily commute.
What Will I Learn?
- Best Alpines Subwoofers with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
- In a Hurry? Here Are the Top 3 Alpine Subwoofers
- #1 Alpine Type R 12” – Best Alpine 12 Inch Subwoofer
- #2 Alpine SWT-12S4 12” – Best Alpine Subwoofer Overall
- #3 Alpine Electronics PWE-S8 Restyle Compact Powered 8” – Best 8 inch enclosed Alpine sub
- #4 Alpine SWR-8D4 8″- Best Alpine 8 Inch Subwoofer
- #5 Alpine SWT-S10 10” Sealed Subwoofer – Best 10 inch enclosed Alpine Sub
- #6 Alpine R-W10D4 10” – Best Alpine 10 Inch Subwoofer
- Alpine Subs Reviews Conclusions
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
- What is the best Alpine shallow mount subwoofer?
- Is Alpine one of the best car subwoofers in the market?
- What is a subwoofer peak power?
- What is the subwoofer voice coil?
- What is the peak power of a subwoofer?
- Do subwoofers have dual voice coil?
- What’s better 10 inch or 12 inch subwoofer?
- What does the subwoofer power rating mean?
- What is the best alpine subwoofer?
- What is a dual 4 ohm voice coil?
- What is a subwoofer RMS power?
- What does the subwoofer magnet structure consist of?
- Are Alpine Type R series the best 12 inch Alpine subwoofers?
- Are Alpine R-series subwoofers a good choice?
- Which is the best alpine 750w RMS subwoofer?
- Where can I find the subwoofer impedance rating?
- What is the best frequency response for a subwoofer?
- What is the frequency response and power handling for these alpine series subwoofers?
- What should I look at when I’m in the market for a new alpine subwoofer?
- Which are the best alpine subs?
- Are alpine subwoofers good?
Holy smokes! If you want the ultimate Alpine experience, this baby is a keeper. If you don’t mind fiddling with wires and enclosures, this should be your top choice.
How good is this Alpine type R?
It’s safe to say that anybody walking around thinks that you have two of them. Or, as a friend of mine said it best: with one, you wake up the neighbors, but with two, you’re waking the whole neighborhood.
There’s a difference between the Type S and Type R. My bet is on the Type R because it brings the goods.
Warning: Don’t even think about installing four of these because you will blow the windows out, right Jim?
On a serious note, the Type R Alpine sub is a beauty. The 750 watts RMS delivers a clean, crisp bass, and best of all, it hits all notes with amazing accuracy. And guess what? It’s amazing with low frequencies as well!
Here are the reasons why this Type R is a keeper:
- Music Perfection: No matter what music you’re listening to, it will be excellent since it hits all ranges with perfection
- Built like a tank: Alpine made this beast last. I have many friends who have been booming this baby for more than 3 or 4 years
- Unbeatable bass: With 750 watts RMS, you’re getting a clean, crisp bass with ZERO distortions
Although, there are few drawbacks to this sub:
First of all, you need a lot of power to feed this beast. Get ready to deliver 5,000 watts. Not only that, but you will also need to get the right box or it won’t perform at its best
Another thing that’s a biggie is that my wife says it’s too loud. Then, I might need to change… the sub or the wife, that is the question.
So far, I’ve tested this Alpine Type R sub with the F350 crew cab, Silverado, and Ram single cab 1500.
All in all, this sub delivers big time. The Alpine Type R sub handles all frequencies perfectly, which means you can enjoy excellent sound quality no matter what kind of music you’re into. Just make sure you get it before the stocks run out, or you’ll have to wait a few weeks.
Now, if you want something cheaper, check out #2 on the list.
If you’re an Alpine fan, this baby is a real treat for your car. It not only delivers the right amount of bass but will also handle overpowering like a champ.
This tube-type subwoofer is in a league of its own. Typically, bazooka subs can’t touch this. The competition is left in the dust while you can feel and enjoy the thump, thump.
For some, this sub is a bit of an oddball, and that’s ok. You can rest assured that this is a boomy subwoofer. Maybe you have little to no space in your car, in which case this Alpine sub will be the perfect choice for clear and perfect bass.
Here’s why it got the top spot:
- Superb sound quality: Many people are pleasantly surprised by the perfect bass that this tube delivers. Some even call it the badass alpine sub
- It’s powerful and small: It can indeed handle overpowering well. There are no distortions, even in the smallest cars
- Easy to install: Before you go at it, make sure you have the right wiring kit, and you will be enjoying all the emotions that your favorite music delivers
Although, there were a few things that I would consider negatives:
Being a tube (bazooka) sub, it rolls around. So, make sure that it is mounted to the floor or it will have a very short lifespan
Some music fans reported that this sub had died prematurely. To avoid their faith, make sure you use the right wiring kit and the right amount of power.
I’ve tested this Alpine subwoofer in the following: a Ford Torus, Volkswagen Passat, and Corvette. In all of them, the bass was perfectly clean and enjoyable.
This Alpine sub with its 300 watts RMS is by far the best choice if you have a small space and value a badass bass.
Side note: Since it’s that time of the year, these subs are flying off the shelves. So, get them before they run out.
This subwoofer is one of the best 12 inch subwoofers for car.
So, what can this tiny little thing do for you?
Well, it will surprise you. This powered 8-inch sub will bring your speakers to life, and the wow factor is unbeatable.
This Alpine sub is small and will fit perfectly under the driver seat. Most of all, it will surprise you with the serious boom it delivers. It’s rated at 120 watts RMS, which gets the job done.
In most cars, there’s only a small amount of space, so this sub is just perfect. Although it’s an 8-inch subwoofer, it still delivers a very punchy bass.
Here is why it’s a must-buy:
- Serious boom: It’s a looker, and there’s so much bass under the hood. You will be enjoying a punchy bass without heating up.
- No nonsense and comfortable: It’s super easy to install, and there are multiple connections. The built-in amp takes out the guesswork. Plus, you have a remote for effortless volume control.
- Rugged construction: This little thing is built to last. They haven’t sacrificed quality because it’s made out of cast metal to handle abuse well.
Although, we shouldn’t forget that there are a few drawbacks.
It can’t handle the low frequencies that well. The truth is that most 8” subs struggle below 35hz.
If you’re a fan of pop music, this might not be for you as it doesn’t pulsate that well on the otherwise, it’s perfectly accurate
Don’t get me wrong, this is a great-sounding subwoofer, and I’ve tested it in a Jeep Wrangler, Tundra Crewmax, Nissan Hardbody, Silverado, 4Runner, and Tacoma.
If you have a limited amount of space and want to enjoy a punchy bass, this is the right choice for you. However, keep in mind that it’s a popular sub, so don’t be surprised if there are only a few in stock. Make sure you buy it because restocking takes a lot of time.
The PWE-S8 is rated as the #1 subwoofer in the best under seat subwoofers article.
Don’t let the size of this sub fool you. Many believe that 8” subs can’t deliver excellent quality, and this is far from the truth. What I have here is an Alpine masterpiece.
It will handle any type of music you throw at it. What you’ll get is great sound without sacrificing space in the trunk.
A neighbor of mine walked by while I was testing this Alpine subwoofer, and he asked if I have installed 12” back there. He was surprised to hear that it’s an 8” one.
This sub has double coils, and the power handling is 150-350 watts RMS or 175 watts per coil. If you have small or, no space at all, this Alpine sub delivers big time.
Here’s why this sub is your best choice:
- This bad boy kicks: This small subwoofer packs a big punch. It’s doesn’t rattle the car, and it shakes the seats a bit
- Tight and accurate: The bass is clean no distortions what so ever
- More Power: This little one is a power-hungry sub, and it can handle the excess like a champ
Keep in mind that there are a few drawbacks as well:
I miss the faceplate from this sub that would’ve given a more esthetic look
The mounting part is quite questionable because the holes are spaced differently, and I didn’t get any mounting screws
So far, I’ve installed and tested this Alpine Subwoofer in Jeep Wrangler, Tahoe, Corvette, 4Runner, Civic Type R and Camry. It doesn’t break the bank, and it hits hard and deep. Best of all, you can install it in 20 minutes.
This sub is great for those who want a big sound in a small package. So get it while they are in stock, or you risk waiting for weeks on end.
If you’re looking for the perfect 10 inch sub for your truck, look no further you have found your winner.
Trucks look pretty big from the outside, but the inside is a whole another story. In most cases, you don’t have enough space to get a decent sub, so this is why this Alpine subwoofer got on my list. It’s small enough to not take up cargo space, and it’s powerful enough to entertain you through your trips.
It’s safe to say that this is built for trucks. With the 250 watts RMS you’re getting plenty of bass without being overpowering.
Did I mention it’s easy to install? It’s as simple as plug and play, and you will be ready to enjoy your favorite music.
Here are the reasons why it’s a winner in my book:
- It’s a looker: Not only that it is way better than any shallow mount you can get, plus the price is unbeatable
- Perfect for trucks: the size makes it the ideal sub for trucks, plus it can be installed in 2 minutes and if space is needed, it can be removed just as fast
- Plenty of Bass: the bass is more than enough without being too much the mids and highs are hit perfectly for your delight
Of course, there are a few drawbacks as well:
I miss the grill protection, and the straps feel cheap. With these tube subs, it’s essential that they are held down. The straps don’t do justice for them.
This sub won’t win any stereo competition; however it will hit the mids and high perfectly
I’ve installed this Alpine Subwoofer in: F150 standard cab, Silverado crew cab, Dodge Challenger and Toyota Matrix. The sound was impeccable.
This sub beats the standard shallow mounts, so go ahead and give it a try. It doesn’t break the bank either. Last time I’ve checked, the stocks were running low, so return later if they happen to be out of stock.
You may also like: Best subs for bass reviewed
What I like about this sub is that you don’t need a huge box to get the max out of it. Many experts call it a mid-level budget sub. It does kick a punch, and it won’t bleed your wallet dry.
All you need is a quality amp, and you’re ready to rock. This sub is rated at 750 watts RMS. Amazing sound and the powerful vibrations are a bonus.
Here’s why it’s a must buy in my book:
- Big Bang for Your Buck: The price is just perfect. The bass is strong and it can’t be heard from the outside.
- Hits the lows: It brings some powerful vibrations with a quality amp.
Of course, there are a few drawbacks as well:
The model that came in my package had the jumper wires lose. I had to tinker a bit to make them tight.
If you have only a small space available, this might not be the best choice for you since it has a large magnet.
This is a great value sub, and I’ve already installed it in Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2012 Silverado. The best part was that I’d made my wife’s hair float. She wasn’t that happy about it, and it’s all good fun.
If you want to get your money’s worth, this sub is a keeper. There are known supply issues, so if they are in stock, buy them instantly, or you might be left out.
Alpine Subs Reviews Conclusions
If you weren’t a fan of Alpine, you wouldn’t have read this post. It’s true that there are many Alpine subs on the market. After sifting through most of them, I’ve picked a dozen or so, which I’ve mounted in different cars to see which the best is.
Only 6 of them cut. This is what you got above. I’ve skipped the 15” one because that’s not suited for most vehicles. Besides checking the ease of use and the power of bass, I’ve split them into two categories. Some prefer the regular sub so they can tinker with it, while others go with the enclosed one because it’s easier to handle.
No matter what your preference is, I have you covered. Plus, you can choose from 8”, 10” and even from 12” subs.
We have reached the best alpine subwoofer post. I had a blast installing and testing these babies. By now you should know exactly which one suits your needs best. Here’s a helpful tip. Get that sub immediately since it’s flying off the shelves. It happened more than a few times that friends of mine had to wait for weeks until the stocks were replenished. Get it if they are in stock.
I’m here at your disposal. If you have questions or tips, I’m always reading my emails.
Roger and out.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):
What is the best Alpine shallow mount subwoofer?
The best Alpine shallow mount slim subwoofer is the Alpine SWT-10S2 10″ Subwoofer 2 OHMS. It has a very good design and provides superb sound quality.
Is Alpine one of the best car subwoofers in the market?
Yes, Alpine is a subwoofer brand that makes quality car audio products. Most subwoofers produce excellent bass and clear sound with power handling.
What is a subwoofer peak power?
A subwoofer peak power is the maximum amount of energy that a subwoofer can put out to handle high quality bass tracks. It’s measured in Watt.
What is the subwoofer voice coil?
The voice coil of a subwoofer is the component that produces sound. The voice coils are usually made out of copper wire and wrapped around a magnetic core to help reduce eddy currents in the material.
What is the peak power of a subwoofer?
You can find the peak power on a subwoofer’s label. It will tell you how much power it can handle, so make sure to match your system with one that fits its peak wattage.
Do subwoofers have dual voice coil?
A dual voice coil woofer will have two coils of wire inside their magnets. These are wound in opposite directions to cancel out any noise between them.
What’s better 10 inch or 12 inch subwoofer?
The 12 inch sub is better than a 10″ sub. It can handle more power and won’t distort as easily.
What does the subwoofer power rating mean?
The power rating of a subwoofer is the measurement of how much total power it can produce. It indicates how loud and deep this kind of speaker plays.
What is the best alpine subwoofer?
The best alpine sub is the Alpine SWT-12S4 12”. It got big bass with an awesome sound quality that will surprise you!
What is a dual 4 ohm voice coil?
A dual 4 ohm voice coil is a type of subwoofer speaker system that consists of two speakers which are connected to one another. The main advantage to this configuration is that it can play low frequencies more accurately and with less distortion than most others.
What is a subwoofer RMS power?
The RMS power is the amount of power a speaker can handle continuously without being damaged. Usually, this is measured in watts.
What does the subwoofer magnet structure consist of?
A subwoofer magnet structure consists of two circular plates. The smaller plate is in the middle and it’s surrounded by a larger plate that has an even bigger hole in the center.
Are Alpine Type R series the best 12 inch Alpine subwoofers?
The Alpine Type-R series are subwoofers with a 12″ large woofer that can deliver a massive bass performance.
Are Alpine R-series subwoofers a good choice?
The R-series subwoofers are a great choice. They have excellent bass response, and they handle high volumes very well. The company has been around for a long time and is still making quality products.
Which is the best alpine 750w RMS subwoofer?
The best alpine 750w RMS subwoofer is the Alpine W12S4 12″. It’s powerful and has an excellent bass response, which will satisfy even your pickiest listeners! It’s also easy to install and made of durable materials.
Where can I find the subwoofer impedance rating?
You can find the impedance rating of a subwoofer in the specifications and sometimes on the box.
What is the best frequency response for a subwoofer?
The best frequency response for a subwoofer is between 20 and 120 Hertz. This range ensures that the bass sounds crisp and clear without any distortion.
What is the frequency response and power handling for these alpine series subwoofers?
The power handling and frequency response for these alpine series subwoofers are as follows:
- Alpine SWT-12S4 12 subwoofer Car Speakers 12 inch; frequency response: 28 – 200 Hz; 4 ohm voice coils; 1000 watt peak power handling; sealed box
- Alpine Type R 12 Inch 2250 Watt Max Dual 4 Ohm Voice coil Round Car Audio Subwoofer R-W12D4 12 subwoofer; frequency response: 24 – 200 Hz; Power Range: 500W-750W RMS power handling; 2250 Watts peak power handling
- Alpine Electronics PWE-S8 Restyle Compact Powered 8-Inch Subwoofer; frequency response: 25Hz – 152Hz; 2 ohm voice coils; 120 watts rms power handling; 240 watts peak power handling; sealed box
- Alpine SWR-8D4 8″ Car Subwoofer; frequency response: 30-200 Hz; 4 ohm voice coils; power range 150-350 watts RMS power handling; 1000 watts peak power handling
- Alpine SWT-S10 1200W Max (250W RMS) Single 10″ Sealed Subwoofer, sealed box; 2 ohm voice coils; 250 watt rms power handling; 1200 watt peak power handling
- Alpine R-W10D4, R Series Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil 2250 Watts Subwoofer; Power Range: 300W-750W RMS power handling; 2250 watts peak power handling
What should I look at when I’m in the market for a new alpine subwoofer?
The main traits you have to check are these: a decent power range, aluminum frame or something that’s sturdy but aluminum frame works the best, dust cap included or you have to buy it separately the dust cap, 2 ohm voice coils or 4 ohm voice coils
Which are the best alpine subs?
The best alpine subs are:
- #1 Alpine SWT-12S4 12”
- #2 Alpine Type R 12”
- #3 Alpine Electronics PWE-S8
- #4 Alpine SWR-8D4 8″
- #5 Alpine SWT-S10 10”
- #6 Alpine R-W10D4 10”
Are alpine subwoofers good?
Yes, alpine subwoofers are good. They have a good frequency response and power handling, and they’re easy to install. They’re also made of durable materials that will last for a long time.
Last Updated on May 28, 2022 by Danny Reid