Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
Welcome to the Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality Award Show!
I’ve spent the last 14 days locked in my garage installing amps, running wires, soldering, heat shrinking, and debugging; meanwhile, I’ve skipped on house chores and bedtime stories (sorry, honey…), to bring you the very best amps you can get for sound quality.
Finding the perfect amp for sound quality comes down to three things your current system, the space available, and your budget. As soon as you know these, it will be easy to find the perfect amplifier for sound quality.
I’m ranking the top 5 best amplifiers on clearness, accuracy, delivered power, and of course, value for the money.
You see, I’ve been installing car audio equipment for more than 20 years. It started out as a hobby, and now it has turned into a passion; according to my wife, it’s an obsession, and she doesn’t get it. I know for a fact how hard it is to find that perfect-sounding amplifier. This is why I’ve decided to create this post to make your choice as easy as possible.
Listen, no matter which amplifier you will choose from the list below, they are all guaranteed winners. I’ve eliminated all the lemons, and only the best of the best remain. These are true champions.
Let me see those amps already!
In a Hurry? Here Are the Top 3 Best Car Amps
For music lover who want something that is as close to perfection as possible while enjoying perfect sound and not minding the loudness.
For music fans who want absolute perfection by enjoying every single note crisply and cleanly plus not minding the high volume output.
For drivers you appreciate the best possible quality while enjoying their favorite songs with distortion free delivery.
What Will I Learn?
- Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
- In a Hurry? Here Are the Top 3 Best Car Amps
- #1 Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch – The Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality
- #2 MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 – Best Value for the Money Car Amp for Sound Quality
- #3 Alpine MRV-F300 – Best Affordable Car Amplifier for Sound Quality
- #4 Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4 – Best Under Seat Car Amp for Sound Quality
- #5 Taramp’s DS 800×4 – Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality that Gives the Most Power
- Best Car Amplifier Buyers guide
- Conclusions on the Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality
- What’s the best car amplifier on the market?
- Do more expensive car amps sound better?
- How can I improve the sound quality of my car?
- Frequently Asked Question (FAQ):
- What are the features for these excellent sound quality car amplifiers?
- Which 4 channel amplifier wasn’t included in this best car amplifiers list?
- What kind of features should a car amp have for the best car audio (car stereo)?
- Does JL Audio provide good audio signal quality?
- What is the best amplifier for a car?
- What is the best car stereo amplifier for someone who wants great sound quality?
- Which amplifier is best for sound quality?
- Which is the best sound quality car amplifier on the market today?
- Which car amps didn’t make it on the list?
We have a WINNER!
This little tank is a monster of an amp. It delivers exactly the right type of power to make those speakers shine. The installation is quite easy, and once that’s done, you can manually tune it. This will bring out the best of your system.
This Rockford Fosgate amplifier is a 4 channel amp one that will allow you to power anything from 2 to 6 speakers. It’s also Class A/B which means that you will be getting that crystal clear sound quality that you’ve always wanted.
- 50 Watts rms x 4 at 4 Ohm (rms power ratings)
- 100 Watts rms x 4 at 2 Ohm (rms power ratings)
- 200 Watts rms power ratings x 2 at 4 Ohm Bridged
However, it’s a Class A/B amp, so it will run a bit warm. There is no shutoff, only a bit of heat.
After everything is up and running, you will be enjoying a loud system. I’m not joking; this amp really shines when it gets loud. I’ve powered different speaker brands in all configurations, and it has driven them effortlessly.
You can’t go wrong with this one.
This is why it’s top of my list:
- A Warrant for Arrest: Man on man, if the speakers would bleed, then you would be charged with assault with a battery; this is how powerful this amplifier is
- Underrated: How would you like to get more power than advertised? If you get this Rockford amp, that’s what you’re getting more juice without the need to spend another penny
- It makes all the Difference: The music is a jaw-dropper. Clean and crisp, and you will be able to hear every note. Plus, it will be loud.
A few drawbacks to consider:
The good news is that it comes with a bass boost. The bad news is that you won’t be able to reach it in most cases. If you mount it under the seat, it’s out of the question if you’re driving.
Since it’s a heavy amplifier, you have no choice but to mount it under the seat. At least it showcases made in the USA perfection.
This Rockford Fosgate is an amazing amplifier, and yes, it has a few flaws, and those shouldn’t be a deal-breaker. It packs a punch and is the best option for clean, crisp sound quality.
Since it’s a best seller amplifier, it means that people are buying it like crazy. So we shouldn’t be surprised if it’s frequently out of stock. Maybe you get lucky and find one, but for that, you need to move fast.
If you want something cheaper, then check out #2 on my list.
Seriously there’s no catch. You are getting a very loud yet great-sounding amplifier. As a matter of fact, I would not recommend going above 30% with the sound volume.
MTX audio has thought of everything; they made the installation a breeze thanks to the screw compression connectors. You see, these connectors will save you a ton of time and guesswork as well. This MTX audio is a 4 channel car amplifier Class A/B. It will bring the best SQ possible.
- 75 Watt RMS x 4 Channels at 4 Ohms power output
- 100 Watts RMS x 4 Channels at 2 Ohms power output
- 175 Watts RMS x 2 Channels Bridged 4 Ohms power output
Holding it in your hand, you can instantly tell that it’s quality. The full metal chassis will protect the delicate inside so you can enjoy the very best sound quality.
Maybe you like to tweak the channels until you reach perfection; well, with this MTX amp, you can adjust the front and rear channels separately.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Thumper System: Once installed and tuned, you will have a concert on wheels. This full-range amp will deliver those perfect mids and highs crisp and clean
- Head Turner: People are impressed by this amplifier because it makes the speakers shine, so enjoy the attention and the compliments
- Ghetto Blaster: At parties, your ride would be the main attraction. It’s loud and powerful, so people will be flocking around you
Here are a few drawbacks:
This amplifier is strong, and it produces a lot of heat because it’s Class A/B, so you might need to invest in cooling fans if you live in a hot area.
Also, they messed up the filters on the rear channels. The range is 50 – 750, and you’re down to pure guesswork to get it configured correctly.
All in all, this MTX audio amplifier does a great job bringing those speakers alive. Yes, it has a few drawbacks, and those are easily outshined by all the great perks you’re getting.
Now the last time I’ve checked, there were still a few in stock; however, you will need to move fast and buy it right now, or you risk waiting for weeks on end for the next shipment to come in.
If sound quality is the name of your game, you just found the best amp to deliver it. Alpine did a great job with this amp; it really delivers pitch-perfect sound quality. From my experience, I would say that it’s more SQ than SPL.
It’s called an investment for sure. My earliest installs are alive and kicking after 4 years of heavy daily use. The Alpine quality will serve you many years to come.
You’ll be getting a 4 channel amp Class D . This means that you can easily power anything from 2 speakers all the way up to 6. Plus, it’s Class D, so it’s super-efficient, and it runs cool, so no fans are needed.
- 75 Watts RMS X 4 at 2 Ohms
- 50 Watts RMS X 4 at 4 Ohms
It has a small footprint, so it gives you a lot of options to install. My favorite place would be under the seat, so it doesn’t take up precious cargo space. Also, it’s a great choice if you want to breathe new life into a system. It works well with stock.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Delivers Like a Champ: This amplifier is the answer if you want the highest sound quality without distracting distortions. As a matter of fact, it’s more SQ than SPL
- #1 in Quality: With this amp, you will get access to the perfect mids and highs. The clean and crisp sound is so refreshing
- It Rocks: This baby is loud. I had to turn it down because I just couldn’t take it. Plus, on low levels, you can feel the bass
Here are a few drawbacks:
Sometimes I’m confused by the choices these brands are making; for example, they made the mounting tabs out of plastic. Sure it’s probably a few cents cheaper, but will it hold? For me, it does.
Also, they have chosen the screw terminals, which slows the installation process down for terminals would’ve been a much better option.
All in all, this Alpine amplifier is a great choice if you want something affordable while getting the most value. Just like with other amps, there are a few drawbacks that are not major.
This amp is quite popular, and people are buying it like no tomorrow. Now the good news is that there are still a few left in stock. If you move now and get it, you won’t have to wait weeks on end for the next shipment.
This is what my previous clients said about this amplifier “SQ is excellent” or “SQ is amazing”. You can’t go wrong with this amplifier because it delivers quality sound so the speakers can perform at their best.
Besides R. F. SQ you’re getting amazing quality with extra power. You see this amplifier is underrated the truth is that it delivers more power than advertised. This is a great thing because it’s not an extra cost.
This Rockford is a 4 channel amp Class D. It means that you’re getting a super-efficient amp that can power up to 6 speakers.
- 75 Watts RMS x 4 at 4 Ohms
- 155 Watts RMS x 4 at 2 Ohms
- 250 Watts x 2 at 4 Ohms Bridged/Mono
Since it’s Class D little or no heat is produced so no need for cooling fans. Brace yourself this RF amp enables ludicrous sound. I mean I didn’t dare to go above 50% because it was too much for my taste.
Thanks to the CLEAN tech the installation is a breeze and you can easily tune it yourself no need to spend money on a technician. The clean word is not just an acronym you are really getting distortion-free music.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- CLEAN Rocks: This new tech from R.F. makes tuning a breeze you don’t even need to get expensive equipment for it. Plus there are no distortions heard or felt whatsoever
- SQ is Simply Excellent: Since you’re looking for the very best SQ this amp will deliver it without a problem. You will enjoy the cleanest sound that your speakers can provide
- Underrated: You will just love the extra juice that you’re getting. With Rockford Fosgate you will enjoy more power than advertised to have the crisp sound
Here are a few drawbacks:
Well this amplifier is a pricey one. Also you get what you paid for. In my book it’s money well spent.
For some reason Rockford has gone cheap with a few things. First of all there’s no bass knob included if you like one then pay up. Also there’s no gain setting CD while other versions all had it. I’m puzzled Rockford what’s going on?
It’s true that this Rockford Fosgate amp has a few flaws and these are minor ones. All in all is a great amp if you want that extra sound quality and that clean power.
Rockford Fosgate is a known and loved brand so no wonder people are buying everything in sight. I hate to break this to you but the stocks are low. The only way to get it is if you move fast. Buy it right now or you might have to wait weeks or more for the fresh supply.
Also read: Best car amps for bass (with buying guide)
Not many people have heard of Taramp’s. It’s an up-and-coming brand that provides super affordable amplifiers that simply rock. This is the case with this one.
It’s a powerful amp that can run more than 4 speakers. It’s a Class D 4 channel car amplifier and this is what you need to know about it.
- 4 x 200W RMS at 1 Ohm maximum power output
- 4 x 136W RMS at 2 Ohm output power
You might be surprised just as I was with the size. It’s a tiny unit, however it delivers great power. Just in case if it’s overpowering your system you can simply adjust it.
It’s just a few perks short of competition grade. I almost forgot the music output is flawless. The sound quality is perfect without distortions and you will feel and hear every note. The price? It’s a steal of a deal.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Almost Competition Grade Amp: The way it’s built and the amount of power it produces can be easily mistaken with a competition amplifier. It’s almost there.
- Small Unit Packing a Punch: This is a class D amplifier so you already know it’s small however it delivers more than enough power.
- Amazing Bang for Your Buck: This amp has everything that you will ever need plus it’s super affordable. Can you ask for more?
Here are a few drawbacks:
The crossover settings are like meh. They didn’t put enough emphasis on it. Come on Taramp’s you can nail this as well.
This amplifier only supports 1 and 2 ohm impedance. This might not be a good fit for a few people.
Yes it’s true that this amplifier has a few flaws and those are nothing what kind of perks you’re getting at an amazing price. All in all this Taramp’s amplifier is a great cheap unit without being cheap. The price is a real steal.
Since this unit is so affordable no wonder that the shelves are almost empty. The best thing to do is grab one while you still can or you risk waiting for weeks on end for the next shipment. Buy it right now.
Related article: Best budget mono car amplifier (with buying guide)
Best Car Amplifier Buyers guide
These will be the best of the best amplifiers if you want the absolute best sound quality. However there’s more than it meets the eye. You need to make sure it’s the right fit for your system.
I’ve weeded out all the lemons, duds and problematic amplifiers. Now with this buyer’s guide I will help you match it up with your system if you’re a beginner.
Amplifier RMS power ratings
RMS stands for root means square. Don’t worry if it sounds foreign because I’m here to translate it for you. RMS is the continuous power handling of speakers or subwoofers. Still not clear?
Ok try this on. This is the real power handling capability you should look at. You need to match your speaker/subwoofer RMS with the amp RMS. The thing is many brands inflate their peak power to the point of being just a dream and catching more sales.
RMS can be faked and it’s not used that much. Here’s a good rule of thumb when you’re matching an amp with your system.
Make sure the amp is able to produce 70-100% of the system’s RMS rating. Now there’s no issue if you have a bit more juice because quality systems can handle it. The problem is if you don’t have enough juice then your system can fry.
Amplifier Watts per channel
Besides checking out the total output you should also look at how much power is sent out by channel. In our case I’ve listed 4 channel amps because those are the best ones for sound quality.
If you have 4 speakers then you need to know their RMS value and see what the amp is delivering on each channel. If it’s a match then it will be a good fit for your system. Now if you have less than 4 channel or you have tweeters in the mix or you might just have more speakers then a bit of wizardry is needed.
Either way, these are important numbers so you have the right sounding system.
Class AB Amplifier vs. Class D Amplifiers
Class AB and Class D amplifiers are the most popular ones on the market today. Both of them have advantages and disadvantages. Class D is a fairly new technology and it’s evolving rapidly. Class D is mainly used with subwoofers while Class AB is used to power speakers.
Class AB is the cleanest sounding class you can go with however is terribly inefficient. The very best performance is limited to 65% power efficiency and the rest is heat. For this reason you will need to get cooling fans which might complicate the install.
On the other side Class D has 95% power efficiency which means there’s little or no heat produced so cooling is not required. However there are hisses while the unit turns on and there are distortions on higher levers. Also, this tech is evolving rapidly so it’s getting better and better.
Where are car amplifiers mounted?
Well this comes down to size and preference. If the amplifier is big and heavy then it should go in the trunk. However if the size allows it then it can be fitted under the seat.
If you’re building a competition system or if the amp looks very cool then it requires to be showcased. Also there is the Class D amplifier that is very small. They can be as small as a smartphone so you can install them in the glove compartment or even between the dash and the HUD.
I hope you’ve found this buyer’s guide useful. I poured every ounce of knowledge into it.
Conclusions on the Best Car Amplifier for Sound Quality
We have reached the end of this award ceremony. I had so much fun getting the best sound quality out of these amps that it wasn’t even a chore. I hope you have found it entertaining and you have probably picked the one that fits your needs the best.
As you have seen I’ve done my best to cover the most popular systems. Make sure that the amp you choose delivers the right power and also the impedance is a match as well.
Also since these are best seller amps it means that the stocks are always low and some might be sold out. If you’re lucky and move fast you might just get that last one reserved with your name on it. So take action now.
Suppose you happen to have tips or questions feel free to reach out to me. The best way is by email and I will do my best to reply.
Roger and Out
What’s the best car amplifier on the market?
8 Best Car Amplifiers on the market in 2022
Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000X5
Rockford Fosgate P400X4
MTX Audio THUNDER75.4
BOSS Audio Systems MC900B
For the full list and recommendations about car amps you can read all about in my new post the best amplifier for car in 2022 and I cover pros and cons as well.
Do more expensive car amps sound better?
You get what you pay for. Yes more expensive car amps do sound a lot better. You will hear a bigger, fuller and cleaner sound. You see cheap brands don’t have the necessary budget for testing and they work on cutting corners this is why expensive car amps sound better.
How can I improve the sound quality of my car?
8 Tips on how to improve sound quality of your car:
- Get a high quality amplifier
- Upgrade factory speakers
- Get a good subwoofer
- Use the best audio wires possible
- Play high quality music not mp3’s
- Tune the system properly
- Upgrade your head unit
- Install sound dampening materials
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ):
What are the features for these excellent sound quality car amplifiers?
I tend to avoid features because they are meaningless and boring for the high quality amplifiers (car amplifiers) however if you want to know them here they are:
- Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch 400 Watt 4 Channel Amplifier; variable bass boost; rca inputs; hybrid amplifier; great low pass filters;
- MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 Thunder Series Car Amplifier; mosfet power supply; bass boost; remote bass knob; rca inputs; compact amplifier
- Alpine MRV-F300 4 Channel Car Amplifier; mosfet power supply; bass boost; class d amps; variable low pass crossover; low pass filter; remote bass control
- Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4 500-Watt 4 Channel Amp; mosfet power supply; bass boost; class d amps (class d amp); good signal to noise ratio; wired remote
- Taramp’s DS 800×4 1 Ohm 4 Channel Amp; the amplifier impedance is 1 ohm; class d amps (class d amp); good signal to noise ratio; variable low pass filter
Which 4 channel amplifier wasn’t included in this best car amplifiers list?
There are a lot of car amp options (car amplifiers) and I’ve instantly eliminated lower quality amps. Also I’ve excluded the jl audio 4 channel amp because it’s just too darn expensive.You see JL audio are leaders in the car audio industry also they make a very efficient amplifier so the overall sound quality is excellent yet it comes at the price. Since nowadays many people don’t want to get a second mortage for a high end car audio system (car stereo) I had to remove JL audio from my list. If you want a good alternative for a JL audio car amp you can go with rockford fosgate amplifiers.
What kind of features should a car amp have for the best car audio (car stereo)?
These are the most important features for having a great car audio (car stereo): a powerful amplifier is an absolute must for a great car stereo, power supply thermal sensing; more than decent car speakers; low pass filters for background noise elimination; wired remote for easy access, one or two subwoofers with the same power as the 4 channel amp, fine tune the sound system, strong input signal for modern amps, powerful sound reproduction, clean audio signal, multiple amplifier channels, high audio frequency response. Besides this the amps should be the same power as the audio system or else you will be installing multiple amplifiers. For better sound reproduction a powerful amplifier or digital amplifiers are an absolute must the factory head unit will not be enough.
Does JL Audio provide good audio signal quality?
Yes JL audio provides good audio signal quality better yet thanks to their low pass filters they offer a better sound reproduction.
What is the best amplifier for a car?
The best amplifier for a car is the Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch 400 Watt 4 Channel Amplifier. This amplifier has great features such as a variable bass boost, rca inputs, and a hybrid amplifier design.
What is the best car stereo amplifier for someone who wants great sound quality?
The best car stereo amplifier is the Rockford Fosgate P400X4. It’s a 4-channel amplifier that produces 100 watts per channel. It’s a great choice for anyone who wants excellent sound quality.
Which amplifier is best for sound quality?
The best amplifier for sound quality would be Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch.
Which is the best sound quality car amplifier on the market today?
The best sound quality car amplifier on the market today is still the Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch also it’s the best power amplifier as well.
Which car amps didn’t make it on the list?
After countless tests in different vehicles I had to drop the pioneer amplifier and the kenwood amplifier.
Last Updated on August 25, 2022 by Danny Reid