Best 4 Channel Amp with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
Welcome to the Best 4 Channel Amp Award Show!
After spending the last 12 days living in my garage, installing amplifiers, running wires, soldering and fine-tuning and my wife, meanwhile ruthlessly spoiled my favorite T.V. series (I will get even with you, Missy…), I’m ready to reveal the very best 4 channel amplifiers on the market.
Finding the perfect 4 channel amplifier comes down to three things, your power needs, available size and your budget. As soon as you know these, it will become super simple, which the best fit is.
For more than 20 years, I’ve been installing car stereo equipment on a weekly basis. So people say I know myself around subs, amps, speakers and head units. I know for a fact that it takes so much time to find the right 4 channel amplifier, so I’ve decided to help you out by showcasing the best of the best.
I’m ranking the ultimate six 4 channel amplifiers on looks; ease of install, size, weight, loudness and of course, power-to-cost ratio. Now you can rest assured that no matter which one you pick, it will be a winner. You can’t go wrong with them.
Let me see those amps already!
What Will I Learn?
- Best 4 Channel Amp with Pros, Cons & Recommendations
- #1 Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch – The Best 4 Channel Car Amplifier
- #2 MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 – Best 4 Channel Amp for Mids and Highs
- #3 Alpine MRV-F300 – Best 4 Channel Amp For Sound Quality
- #4 Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4 – Best 4 Channel Amp for Door Speakers
- #5 PIONEER pio GM-D8704 – Best Pioneer 4 Channel Car Amplifier
- #6 Taramp’s D.S. 800×4 – Best Budget 4 Channel Amp
- Buyer’s Guide for 4-Channel Amps
- Conclusions on the Best 4 Channel Amp Reviews
- What is the most powerful 4 channel amp?
- Will a 4 channel amp make a difference?
- What are 4 channel amps for?
- Do you need a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers?
- Which is the best 4 channel amp for door speakers?
- Which is the best 4 channel amp for the money?
- Which is the cheapest 4 channel amp?
- FAQ about the Best 4 Channel Amps:
- What are the features for these 4 channel car amplifiers?
- Which 4 channel car amplifier didn’t make it on my best car amplifier with 4 channels list?
- How to get a great 4 channel car amplifier?
- What can a 4 channel amplifier do?
- Do I need a head unit if I want to use a 4 channel car amplifier?
- How important is high power output with car audio quality and with the car audio system?
This amplifier makes all the difference. Having this in your vehicle, you will be able to bring the absolute max out of your speaker system.
After you’ve installed it and have everything ready, you will be able to enjoy some clean, crisp sound that can be as loud as you can handle. Oh, btw the installation procedure for this small tank is effortless.
Distortions and static is the thing of the past. The industry has evolved so much for the better. This Punch series amplifier delivers high sound quality and refreshingly crisp audio.
- 50 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm
- 100 Watts x 4 @ 2-Ohm
- 200 Watts x 2 @ 4-Ohm Bridged
Rockford Fosgate did a great job with this amplifier. Besides looking good in your car no matter where you install it, this is made out of quality materials, so it can take a beating.
Maybe you like Rock, Rap, Country, or whatever new music genre is the hit today? Then you can rest assured that it will do justice for all of them. It’s truly the icing on the cake.
This is why it’s top of my list:
- Can You Hear the Beast? Get ready because this will get loud, maybe more than you can handle. The sound quality is high and crisp
- Speaker Bleeder: People, this is not a joke. If you have cheap speakers, they might get fried if you let this monster loose
- More Performance Less Cost: I love when I get a freebie. The certification is higher than the advertised power output. More bang for your buck
A few drawbacks to consider:
This is a heavy amplifier, and it has to be mounted under the seat. Either way, I chalk it up as U.S perfection.
Bass boost can’t be easily handled while driving because typically it’s under the seat, so driving and adjusting on the fly is a big no-no.
No matter how you’re looking at this Rockford Fosgate amplifier, it’s a winner. Of course, it has a few drawbacks, and those are nothing compared to all that great sound you will enjoy for the years to come.
Now here’s a warning! If you want this amplifier, you need to move fast because the last time I’ve checked, there were only a handful left in stock. Grab one before they are all gone.
If you want something cheaper, then check out #2 on my list.
Imagine keeping this beast under wraps; I mean around 30% volume levels. If you dare to go above it, I won’t be responsible for your safety.
The first time you will hold it in your hand, you will be amazed at how heavy and durable this amplifier is.
MTX has thought of everything. Remember that it takes so much time to install these darn things? Well, not anymore. All you have to do is use the screw compression connectors to save time. The installation is as easy as it can get.
- 75W x 4 Channels at 4 Ohms
- 100W x 4 Channels at 2 Ohms
- 175W x 2 Channels Bridged 4 Ohms
Let me assure you about this amp. People will be impressed with your ride. This amp will manage all your system while making your audience’s jaw drop. Sound enthusiasts are raving fans.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Thumper System: I dare you to go beyond the 30% volume level. If you do, you might get ear damage. It’s that powerful while being still affordable
- Party Ghetto Blaster: Once installed, you will be the center of the party. Probably you will get more invites to events than you can handle
- Perfect for the Mids and Highs: If you enjoy those mids and highs, you will find that this MTX amplifier is the right fit for you
Here are a few drawbacks:
Since it’s a class A/B amplifier, this baby will get hot. If you happen to be living in a hotter climate, you need to get a fan or two, so it stays operational.
They messed up the filters on the rear channels. The markings say 50 to 750; it’s pretty much guesswork to get It right.
It’s loud and forces all the speakers to perform at their best. No regrets from anyone who I’ve installed it, and they are recommending it to all their friends.
Let’s face it, this is a popular amplifier, so people are buying it like no tomorrow. So if you want to have it, you have to act fast or else you’re risking waiting weeks on end. Grab one right now.
If you are planning to install this because your old amp died or you want to power a new system, Alpine is here, and it will deliver.
Brace yourself because this amp cranks out the power so that you have to turn down the volume or risk hearing damage. I’m not joking; I’m afraid to turn it up too high.
- 75 Watts R.M.S. X 4 at 2 Ohms
- 50 Watts R.M.S. X 4 at 4 Ohms
Don’t underestimate this small Class D amplifier because you will be blown away by the quality it delivers. As a matter of fact, it’s more S.Q. than S.P.L., and who cares?
When you get it up and running, you will enjoy some crisp and clean music. There are no distractions such as hums, static, or hisses, the only music in its purest form.
Best of all, it comes with space-saving tech, so it will fit under any seat, or it can be hidden away. There are no regrets with this amp.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Handles Like a Champ: There’s only high-quality sound coming out. There’s no hiss, distortions, hums or static and best of all, no clipping
- For the Mids and Highs: This amplifier rocks. You won’t be disappointed by the fantastic sound
- Built to Last: I’ve installed this amplifier for a friend, and he has been using it almost daily for 4 years now, and it still works perfectly
Here are a few drawbacks:
Alpine went on the cheap side with the mounting tabs. These are made out of plastic. So far, I have had no issues with them time will tell.
These Screw terminals wouldn’t have been my choice if I value easy and fast installation. Fork terminals would’ve been the best option.
Alpine is an established brand, and people love it, so no wonder that there are barely any units left in stock. You have to move fast if you want to enjoy some nice sounding ride. Grab one while there are still available.
Have you heard about their C.L.E.A.N. tech? This is the best thing since sliced bread. Even if this were your first install you would get it done easily. Also this tech gives on giving.
Imagine enjoying your favorite songs without any distortion or distraction. Now that’s possible with this Rockford Fosgate amp. This is so easy to do because all you need is the right install and some quality speakers. The highs and mids sound perfect.
- 75 Watts x 4 at 4 Ohms
- 155 Watts x 4 at 2 Ohms
- 250 Watts x 2 at 4 Ohms Bridged/Mono
Things get even better since this is a class D amplifier it means that it won’t get hot and you can install it anywhere because it fits thanks to its small footprint.
All in all, this is the best 4 channel amp for door speakers. Your speakers will thank you for getting this amp because it will bring the best out of them. Plus it allows you to test out ludicrous loudness and you’re getting more power than you have paid for. What a deal!
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- Always Driving with a Smile on Your Face: No it’s not weed it’s a pure pleasure of amazing songs. Even if it’s raining you’re still enjoying yourself accompanied by great music
- For the Mids and Highs: This amplifier makes all speakers shine it will blow away people who will be sitting in the car
- Underrated: With Rockford Fosgate, you’re getting more power than advertised. Best of all it over-delivers which is always a nice perk to have.
Here are a few drawbacks:
I hate when well-known brands cheap out on certain things like the bass knob. They should’ve included it in the package. This amplifier ain’t cheap so it would’ve been a nice bonus.
Other Rockford Fosgate amps come with a gain setting CD. Again I feel that they went the cheap way. I mean CD’s cost next to nothing.
All in all this is the best 4 channel amp for the money. The power delivered is more than expected and the amazing sound quality makes it all worth it.
However, if you want this amp you will have to be quick about it because the last time I’ve checked there were only a few in stock; when they are gone who knows when the next shipment comes. So this is why you have to be urgent.
Imagine starting your car and you get hit by the cleanness of your favorite song. There’s nothing to distract you from the melody there’s no static, distortion, hum, hiss or whatever just crisp clean sound.
Also it never gets hot. This amplifier is based on class D technology so it’s super-efficient meaning no need for fans or venting plus you’re enjoying the high-quality sound.
- 125W x 4 at 1 Ohm
- 150W x 4 at 2 Ohm
- 100W x 4 at 4 Ohm
- 300W x2 at 4 Ohm Bridged
Typically with some high-end brands you will have to make a whole electrical overhaul costing hundreds if not thousands and you don’t have to with this Pioneer because it draws little current.
Get ready because this is loud initially you won’t even notice how loud it is you will only feel it when you are shouting to the person next to you.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- There’s No Noise Just Sound: Finally an amp that delivers excellent clean sound without distracting noises
- For the Highs and Mids: You can’t go wrong with this amp if you enjoy those highs and mid, it was made for them
- Underrated: This is what I love about big brands that they are underrated you will get more power than you have paid for
Here are a few drawbacks:
The nice shiny exterior scratches way too easily to my liking so there’s no other choice than to hide it under the chair. What a shame.
The angle terminals are pretty much junk we’re talking about Pioneer here they should’ve done a better job.
All in all this is the best Pioneer 4 channel car amplifier on the market today. Yes it has a few flaws and those don’t take away from the listening experience.
And here comes the cold water. This Pioneer amplifier is on the rare list. I mean it’s more times out of stock than in. Call yourself lucky if you find one. You have to buy it instantly or you risk waiting forever for this amazing amp.
This is the secret weapon in my arsenal. When you need some good power and you’re on the budget this is the amplifier that you get. With this baby you can run any speakers. In most cases you can’t even use it on max because it will fry them.
The D.S. series is Class D so you will be enjoying quality sound in a small package. Actually you can install it almost anywhere. It’s that tiny. Don’t let the size fool you because it packs a punch.
- 4 x 200W R.M.S. at 1 Ohm
- 4 x 136W R.M.S. at 2 Ohm
I would say that this amplifier can compete with competition-grade amps. Best of all you don’t have to take out a second mortgage just to afford it.
The sound is clean and enjoyable and the installation is fast and easy.
Here’s why it’s a must-buy:
- It’s More thank Affordable: You won’t believe the price of this unit and best of all it delivers as advertised
- Competition grade amp? Before you start rolling on the floor from laughing hear me out. You don’t need a super expensive take-out-a-second-mortgage to have a competition-grade system
- Power Overwhelming: Wow this little thing packs a serious punch. I mean the power output is just insane for the price you pay
Here are a few drawbacks:
The crossover settings are not that good. Other Taramp’s are way better at this.
A few people mentioned that they got the unit all banged up. It’s about time for Taramp’s to invest heavily in good packaging.
All in all this is the best cheap 4 channel amp. Besides the few drawbacks this amplifier is a real winner. It can easily compete with the big boys while still being affordable for any pocket.
This amplifier is a hidden gem. Not only it’s cheap but it a powerful one at that so no wonder there are so few in stock. If you feel that this is the right fit you need to move in this instance and buy it or risk waiting weeks for the new shipment to arrive.
Buyer’s Guide for 4-Channel Amps
I thought it would be a great idea to put together a simple and effective buyer’s guide for 4 channel amplifiers. Picking any amp from above ensures that you’re avoiding lemons. Besides these you need to match it up with the current system or it won’t work.
I will tell you all about R.M.S. power rating, impedance and everything theirs is to know to have a full proof and sweet-sounding system.
First let’s start at the beginning.
What Is A 4-Channel Amp?
It is an amplifier that increases the standard 12V voltage so the speakers, tweeters and subwoofers can shine. As the name suggests the 4 channel amplifier has 4 amplification channels. For example if you have two front and two back speakers with this one amp you can juice them up.
Besides powering 4 speakers many brands offer bridging options so you can put even a subwoofer in the mix. Everything comes down to the system you have. Either way the 4 channel amplifier is the perfect solution if you want to power multiple speakers.
The main reason why it’s a good idea to pick these over others is that you will get a full range of sound. With the right 4 channel amp you will unlock the perfect mids and highs and this is what you want in your favorite songs.
Best of all you’re getting premium sound out of your speakers and they are quite cost-effective.
4 Channel Amp vs 2 Channel Amp what’s the difference?
The 4 channel amplifier is the bigger brother of the 2 channel amplifier. While the 2 channel amp has only 2 channels of amplification the 4 channel one has four to choose from.
Which is better? Depends on your current system. If you have more than two speakers then your best choice would be a 4 channel amp. However if you only have two and you plan to upgrade in the near future then again the 4 channel one would be the best option because if you pick a bridgeable amplifier you have very flexible connection options.
Typically 4 Channel amps are much smaller than 2 Channel ones. They had to cram in two extra channels. Just in case you were wondering they didn’t slap two control boards together; they went the extra mile and had it redesigned from the ground up.
With the right options you can even power anything from 2 two 6 speakers. Do you see what I mean by saving money?
Why should I choose a four-channel amp?
Four-channel amplifiers have some unique advantages. First of all they have a lot of potential if you plan to upgrade in the future. Plus they are small in size so basically you can fit it anywhere and more on this later.
How much power do I need? (R.M.S. power ratings)
The amount of power needed comes down to the speakers or the subwoofer. Typically the subwoofers need much more power than the speakers.
So get your manual out and see what’s the R.M.S. rating for the speakers/subs. Always check the R.M.S. rating and not the max power because certain brands are known to exaggerate the latter numbers.
Once you have found the R.M.S. power rating keep this simple rule in mind that you have to match that within 70%-100%. Also it’s good to know that you can have a more powerful amp because you can easily reduce the power however never ever should you underpower your system because then things go toast.
The more you can get to the 100% of R.M.S. rating the better your system will be. Another thing to keep in mind is that the more power you need the more expensive these amplifiers will get. Now if you are powering only speakers you don’t need that much juice because they won’t be able to take it.
What are the differences between AB amps and D amps?
The most popular amplifier classes are the AB and D types. Also there are hybrid options and other configurations as well.
Class AB is an older technology dating back in the 1960s while the Class D is much more recent.
The main difference between AB and D is in sound quality and efficiency. By far the most efficient class is the D one. They utilize 90% of the current to create music and only 10% is wasted as heat.
However it’s different with the Class AB amps which are 65% efficient at best and the rest is turned into heat.
The other side of the coin is the sound quality. Class AB is much more cleaner than Class D amp. The Class D amp has a hissing sound which you can pick up on higher levels. Also if you have the ear for it then you will notice it.
Class D amplifiers (class d amp) are smaller and produce little to no heat while AB class needs a cooling system and a metal case plus a heat sink just to keep it operational. Eventually the choice comes down to you if you prefer pristine sound quality or less heat.
How many speakers can I run with a four-channel amp?
With a four channel amp you can run anything between 2 and 6 speakers. This comes down to the amp type and wiring options.
This is a very important point to keep in mind. You have to match the ohm (impedance) value of your speaker or subwoofer with the amplifier. If you don’t you’re in a heap of trouble.
The most common impedances are 1 ohm, 2 ohm and 4 ohm options. Always check if they are a match.
Remember these words: you get what you paid for. However there are a few exceptions and you will find them on the list above. Typically cheap brands don’t have the resources to try and test so many variables so their sound quality would be weak.
Typically with Class A/B you get a better sound quality than Class D however the difference is not that noticeable with the latest tech.
As a matter of fact a good 4 channel amplifier can be smaller than a class D one. Either way 4 channel amps are small. This gives you a ton of options and flexibility where you can install it.
The most common place to install these amps are under the seat or in the trunk. However I’ve heard about systems where it went in the glove compartment.
The good news is that they are small and won’t take up space wherever you put them.
Conclusions on the Best 4 Channel Amp Reviews
We have reached the end of this award ceremony. I hope you had a blast reading through because I loved every second playing around with these amplifiers.
As you have seen I’ve done everything to give you multiple choices from different power ranges to different amplifier classes. You have probably found your winner already.
Now it’s not over yet until you place your order. You’ve also seen that these amplifiers are flying off the shelves the only thing to do is move fast and buy one while there are still units left or you risk waiting weeks on end.
If you have questions or tips please reach out and I will try to respond as soon as possible.
Roger and Out!
What is the most powerful 4 channel amp?
The Rockford Fosgate T15004 is the most 4 powerful 4 channel amp that Rockford ever made. It’s the perfect amp to power high powered speakers or by bridging you can power two subwoofers.
Will a 4 channel amp make a difference?
Yes, a 4 channel amp can make a massive difference to your sound system. The most commonly used amplifier is that delivers 40 to 50 watts per channel. However there are other amps that deliver more or less depending on your system needs.
What are 4 channel amps for?
4 Channel amps are created to power traditional 4 speakers found in cars. Sine there are 4 channels you can easily power two front and two rear speakers and if you bridge it you can even power subwoofers.
Do you need a 4 channel amp for 4 speakers?
If you want a better sounding system then you will need a 4 channel amp for your speakers. This amp can power four speakers, two speakers and a subwoofer, two speakers and two tweeters or two subwoofers is bridged mode.
Which is the best 4 channel amp for door speakers?
The best 4 channel amp for door speakers is the Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4. There are other great amps that are 4 channel and perfect for door speakers so you can read my whole post over here: best amplifier for door speakers.
Which is the best 4 channel amp for the money?
The best 4 channel amp for the money is the MTX Audio THUNDER75.4.
Which is the cheapest 4 channel amp?
The cheapest 4 channel amp is Taramp’s D.S. 800×4.
FAQ about the Best 4 Channel Amps:
What are the features for these 4 channel car amplifiers?
I intentionally left out the boring features for these 4 channel car amplifiers since you’re interested here they are:
- Rockford Fosgate P400X4 Punch 400 Watt 4 Channel Amplifier (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; RMS Power Output (rms power ratings): 50 Watts x 4 @ 4-Ohm; mosfet power supply; frequency response: 20-20K Hz; low pass crossovers; variable bass boost; variable gain control;
- MTX Audio THUNDER75.4 Thunder Series 4 channel Amplifier (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; 75 watts RMS power output (power handling) x 4 at 4 ohms; mosfet power supply; frequency response: 15-25,000 Hz; low pass crossovers; high pass filter; variable bass boost; variable gain control;
- Alpine MRV-F300 4 Channel Amplifier, 50 Watts RMS x 4 (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; 75W RMS power output (power handling) X 4 at 2 ohms; mosfet power supply; high pass crossover; low pass filter; high pass filter; variable gain control;
- Rockford Fosgate R2-500X4 500-Watt 4 Channel Amplifier (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; 125 watts RMS power output (power handling) x 4 at 2 ohms; mosfet power supply; frequency response: 20-20K Hz; high pass crossover; low pass crossover; high pass filter; variable bass boost; compact size; remote gain control;
- PIONEER pio GM-D8704 Class FD Bridgeable 4 Channel Amplifier (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; 1, 200 Watts Max Power output (peak power); 150 watt RMS power output x 4 at 4ohm; mosfet power supply; high pass crossover; low pass crossover; low pass filter; variable bass boost; compact size; remote gain control
- Taramp’s DS 800×4 1 Ohm 800 Watts 4 Channels Amplifier (4 channel car amplifier); full range; bass boost; 800 Watts RMS power output at 1 ohm; mosfet power supply; variable low pass crossover; high pass crossover; low pass filter; compact size; remote gain control;
Which 4 channel car amplifier didn’t make it on my best car amplifier with 4 channels list?
I’ve excluded three brands from my list of 4 channel car amplfier. These would be planet audio sound system, jl audio and boss audio systems. The problem with JL car stereo system is that it’s just too expensive. People don’t spend as much on a 4 channel car amplifier as they used to. Even thought it delivers superb sound quality and minimal signal to noise ratio the price is sky high and this is the fate high quality amplifiers that barely anyone is buying them. With JL audio you’re getting a full car stereo system the best sound quality, high power output, low power consumption, accurate sound, high bass output and high power efficiency for price. Boss audio systems wasn’t included on the best 4 channel car amplifier lists because longevity and overheating issues. Also for Boss audio systems the peak power is highly fictionalized. The main reason why planet audio was excluded because the signal to noise ratio wasn’t that good.
How to get a great 4 channel car amplifier?
Before you go hunting for your best car audio signal here are some pointers. You need to know your specs before getting a good quality amplifier it has to fit the audio system. No matter what the 4 channel car amplifier improve sound quality and car audio experience thanks to the high power output and delay soft start system.
What can a 4 channel amplifier do?
The best thing about these amps that they are powering multiple speakers. In essence you can power up to eight speakers and enjoy excellent sound quality. The sound quality depends enough power on speaker level inputs. Also for good quality it’s a good idea to have the same power for the amp as the system. For a loud sound go with a full range amp that has enough power to run everything.
Do I need a head unit if I want to use a 4 channel car amplifier?
The 4 channel car amplifier only increases the power you’re sending to the speakers. The head unit serves a different purpose. With a head unit you can control many things and it also offers preamp outputs.
How important is high power output with car audio quality and with the car audio system?
The high power output for car audio quality is very important. This comes down to the power supply if that’s good then the car audio quality will be superb.
Last Updated on May 29, 2022 by Danny Reid